These homemade Chocolate Chip Snickerdoodles have slighly crispy edges, soft, chewy middles and are studded with melty chocolate chips!
I used my Great Grandmother’s classic Snickerdoodles recipe as the base for these Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cookies. They’re made more delicious with the addition of chocolate chips!
THESE CHOCOLATE CHIP SNICKERDOODLE COOKIES ARE:
- Thick and chewy
- Chocolatey: Since the cookies are already amazing, chocolate chips just make them over the top GOOD!
- Salty Sweet
WHAT DO I NEED TO MAKE THESE COOKIES?
- Unsalted Butter, room temperature
- Granulated Sugar
- Cream of Tarter
- Baking Soda
- 2 Eggs
- Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
- Pretzels: Add a few bits of pretzels into the cookie dough balls before baking for a nice salty crunch.
OPTIONAL ADD INS TO MAKE REINDEER COOKIES
To make reindeer cookies, you’ll use chocolate chips for the eyes, pretzels for the antlers. The only additional ingredient you’ll need are red M&Ms for the nose.
In addition to cream of tartar, the other signature flavor of snickerdoodles is cinnamon sugar. After the dough is chilled, it’s shaped into little balls and gets tossed in a mixture of cinnamon and sugar.
The color of the cinnamon coating gives the flavor of the cookies away and is so amazing to bite into! Roll them with as much cinnamon sugar as you like!
WHAT KIND OF CHOCOLATE CHIPS ARE BEST IN THIS RECIPE?
I used semi-sweet regular chocolate chips. There are lots of delicious, chocolatey options to swap in here such as:
- Dark Chocolate Chips
- Mini Chocolate Chips
- Chopped Chocolate Bars
- Chopped Snickers: (I tried this and it was soooo good because the Snickers added that caramel and chocolate flavor which was incredible with the cinnamon Snickerdoodle flavor).
REINDEER SNICKERDOODLE COOKIES
If it’s December, then I highly recommend trying these in reindeer form! They are as cute as they are delicious!
All you have to do is stick pretzel halves in the sides and stick chocolate chips on for eyes. Once baked, add the signature Rudolph red M&M and you have the easiest decorated cookies!
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CHOCOLATE CHIP SNICKERDOODLES
Cream of tartar gives snickerdoodle cookies a slightly tangy flavor and their chewy texture.
For soft snickerdoodles, it’s best to slightly underbake your cookies. Take the cookies out when they’re underdone (when the edges are set and the centers are still a little gooey.)
There’s nothing not to love about these Chocolate Chip Snickerdoodles. They’re the classic Snickerdoodle taste and texture with the added taste of chocolate! Go a step further and add a salty bite with pretzels. Get into the holiday spirit by turning some or all into Snickerdoodle reindeers! The options are endless and whichever way you make them, they’ll be amazing!Print
This classic recipe for Chocolate Chip Snickerdoodle Cookies makes super soft, buttery cookies coated with cinnamon and sugar. They’re rich, buttery, chewy and DELICIOUS!
FOR THE COOKIE DOUGH
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, light or dark
- 2 3/4 cups flour, sifted
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup chocolate chips, chopped chocolate, or chopped Snickers plus a little extra to add to the cookies before baking
- pretzels pieces (optional)
FOR THE CINNAMON SUGAR TOPPING
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon
FOR THE REINDEER
- large pretzels, broken in half (for the antlers)
- red M&Ms (for the noses)
- chocolate chips (for the eyes)
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, using a mixer, cream the butter and sugar until well combined (about 2 minutes). Mix in the eggs and mix until smooth. Add the dry ingredients to the sugar mixture gradually and mix until just combined. Stir in chocolate chips. Chill dough for at least 30 minutes.
- In a small mixing bowl, stir together the 2 tablespoons sugar and 2 teaspoons cinnamon.
- Take the dough out of the fridge and scoop out about 2 tablespoons per cookie. Roll each cookie into a ball and then roll each ball in the cinnamon sugar mixture to coat. Stick a few extra chocolate chips in the dough ball, if desired. Place the balls about 3 inches apart on the prepared baking sheets.
- Bake 9-11 minutes, rotating the baking sheets halfway through. Remove from the oven and allow to cool on the baking sheets for 5 minutes and then transfer them to wire racks to cool completely.
FOR THE REINDEER
- Once the dough balls have been formed and rolled in the cinnamon sugar (after step ), stick antler halves into the sides of each ball to form the antlers. Stick them into the cookie dough. Stick two chocolate chips on for the eyes and press them gently into the dough. No need to press too much as they will stick as they bake.
- Once cookies are removed from the oven, place a red M&M into the middle of each cookie for the red nose.
Keywords: chocolate chips, pretzels, reindeer, christmas, snickerdoodles, snickerdoodle,