This savory Creamy Zucchini Soup is both a comfort food and a healthy food! Full of healthy vegetables and a hearty broth, this pureed soup will be what you crave on chilly fall and winter days.
I came up with this recipe this past August. I know-not the time most people make soup! With all the zucchini growing in my parents’ garden and people giving away zucchini from their gardens at work, it was the best time to experiment with some new zucchini recipes. Thanks to all the zucchini that came my way, I developed my Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread and this Creamy Zucchini Soup recipe!
You won’t believe how tasty AND healthy this Creamy Zucchini Soup is! Made with potato, onion, celery, and FOUR zucchini, this soup gets its richness, color and flavor from vegetables, broth, herbs and just a little bit of butter and milk! I’m happy to share this soothing, healthy, easy zucchini soup recipe for everyone to enjoy!
After washing and chopping your vegetables, all you’ll do is saute the onion in the butter and olive oil. Once the onion begins to soften and before it takes on color, you’ll add the rest of the vegetables, the broth, salt, pepper and herbs. Cover the pot and let the soup simmer until the vegetables are fork tender. I usually take a piece of potato out of the soup and if I can pierce it easily with a knife, I know the vegetables are cooked through.
Once cooked, puree the soup. If you have an immersion blender, now is the time to put it to use! If you don’t have one, just use a ladle to spoon the soup into a blender. Since the soup is hot, try not to fill the blender to the top. I fill it about 3/4 full, put the top on and cover the top with kitchen towel before blending. You’ll most likely need to puree the contents in two batches.
Once the soup is pureed, return it to the pot on medium heat. Add the milk and stir until heated through. That’s it! Remove it from heat and enjoy!
You’ll love this Creamy Zucchini Soup alongside sandwiches for a tasty lunch or light dinner. You can also enjoy it as a starter for dinner! For another tasty soup, make my Healthy Homemade Vegetable Soup!Print
This Creamy Zucchini Soup is full of healthy vegetables. It’s savory, tasty, comforting, and easy to make!
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 medium zucchini, chopped
- 1 branch of celery, leaves included, chopped
- 1 potato, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon Herbes de Provence or dried Italian seasoning
- 1 liter low sodium chicken or vegetable broth or water
- 1/2 cup milk
- salt and pepper
1. Heat the butter and olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and stir occasionally, for about five minutes or until the onions have softened slightly.
2. Add the zucchini, potatoes, celery, herbs, salt, pepper and broth. Cover and cook for about 25 minutes or until vegetables are fork tender.
3. Puree the soup with an immersion blender or in a blender. Put the soup back in the saucepan over medium heat and add the milk. Once the soup is warmed through, remove it from heat and serve.
Keywords: soup, zucchini, potatoes, celery, vegetarian