Can you believe you can make a refreshing, flavorful salad dressing using mainly yogurt!? Being that yogurt is both creamy and tangy, it makes sense. You’ll love the simplicity of both the flavor and the actual recipe in this Green Salad with Healthy Yogurt Dressing.
I have some students to thank for this recipe! I met two sisters from Afghanistan while student teaching at a high school in Connecticut . One day after giving them (and their mom and brother) a ride to Walmart to buy a TV, they invited me for lunch. They showed me how to make Ashak and this salad and we spent the afternoon watching Bollywood movies on their new TV. I love that this salad always reminds me of that day!
When I want a delicious, creamy dressing that I can throw together, I go for this simple yogurt dressing. It literally involves dumping some yogurt in a bowl, adding some salt and pepper and herbs and (when I feel like it) a little garlic that’s it.
You just stir the yogurt, herbs, garlic, salt, and pepper together and you’re ready to dress your salad. I love it with romaine lettuce, but it works with any greens. You can also substitute chives or onions for green onions.
This salad is delicious as is, but can be turned into a meal or heartier salad if you like. I usually make this salad alongside grilled chicken or beef, but if you’re not serving it along with meat, there are other ways to make it a bit more substantial. Some things you can add are:
- grilled chicken
- feta cheese (as listed in the recipe below)
- chick peas
If you love a good salad recipe, check out my:Print
You’ll love how simple this Green Salad with Healthy Yogurt Dressing recipe is! Toss the ingredients together in minutes and enjoy a fresh, delicious salad with homemade dressing!
FOR THE SALAD
- 1 head romaine lettuce, chopped
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 carrot, grated into 1 ” strips using a vegetable peeler
- 1 bell pepper, any color, chopped
- 1/2 cup feta cheese, crumbled
FOR THE DRESSING
- 1 1/2 cups yogurt
- 1 small clove garlic, minced (optional)
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley (or 1 tablespoon fresh)
- 1 teaspoon dried mint (or 1 tablespoon fresh)
- 3/4–1 teaspoon salt
- pepper to taste
- In a large bowl, combine the vegetables and feta cheese.
- In a medium-sized bowl, mix the yogurt, garlic (if using), herbs, salt and pepper.
- Pour dressing over salad and mix to coat.
Keywords: healthy salad, dressing, yogurt, mint, parsley