This recipe for homemade Peach Cupcakes makes soft, moist cupcakes with fresh peach buttercream frosting. These cupcakes are sweetened with brown sugar and flavored with vanilla and cinnamon. They are perfect for summer!
I love baking with fresh peaches! These peachy cupcakes are baked with two peaches in the batter. They are topped with fresh peach buttercream!
For another fruity cupcake recipe, make these flavorful Strawberry Filled Cupcakes with Fresh Strawberry Buttercream!
WHY YOU WILL LOVE THIS RECIPE
- Moist-Oil and buttermilk (or yogurt or sour cream) gives these a nice, moist texture!
- Delicious– Vanilla extract and cinnamon add so much flavor!
- Fruity– They are studded with bits of juicy, fresh peaches and topped with fresh peach buttercream frosting!
Below are notes about some of the ingredients. Please see recipe below for full list of ingredients and their measurements.
- Oil: Use vegetable or canola oil.
- Brown sugar: Use packed light or dark brown sugar.
- Eggs: Use large, room temperature eggs.
- Buttermilk: Make sure it is room temperature.
- Peaches: I recommend using fresh peaches. You’ll need 2 peaches for the cupcakes and a little over 2 peaches for the buttercream frosting.
- Butter: Use room temperature butter for the buttercream frosting.
- Powdered Sugar: I recommend sifting your powdered sugar. It only takes a minute and it makes sure you don’t have any little bumps of powdered sugar in your frosting.
Peaches: I have not made the frosting with canned peaches, but I have used them for the cupakes. Use sliced peaches and chop them or buy chopped peaches. Drain canned peaches well before using.
Buttermilk: Full fat sour cream or full fat yogurt can be used as a substitute. You could even make your own buttermilk substitute if you wanted to.
Please see the recipe below for the full list of measurements and baking time.
STEP ONE: Combine the wet ingredients. Stir to combine the buttermilk, sour cream or yogurt, oil, eggs, and vanilla.
STEP TWO: Combine the dry ingredients.
STEP THREE: Combine the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients.
Next, stir in the chopped peaches.
STEP FOUR: Fill the cupcake pan. Line a cupcake pan with cupcake liners and fill each cupcake about 2/3 to 3/4 full.
STEP FIVE: Bake. Bake at 350 for15-18 minutes. Allow cupcakes to cool completely before frosting.
- Peaches: Peel, pit and chop your peaches before beginning the recipe so that when it comes time to add them, you have them ready.
- Filling the cupcake liners: Use a cookie scoop or even an ice cream scoop the batter. It’s easier to get cupcakes of the same size and is typically less messy than using a spoon or measuring cup.
- Check for doneness: To check if your cupcakes are finished baking, stick a toothpick into the center of a cupcake. If it comes out clean,, the cupcakes are done. You can also gently press the top of a cupcake. If it’s springy, they’re done. If you also like baking cakes and have wondered how to know when your cake is done, check out this article from The Kitchn called “5 Ways to Tell When Your Cake is Done.”
FROSTING YOUR CUPCAKES
I wanted a blossomy look to my frosting, so I used my Wilton 1M tip to pipe that flat swirl. Simply start in the middle and pipe in a swirl til you get to the edge.
These peach cupcakes are delicious cold or at room temperature. Store leftover cupcakes in the refrigerator in an air tight container.
MORE CUPCAKE RECIPES TO TRY
These from scratch Peach Cupcakes with Fresh Peach Buttercream are moist, soft and delicious!
FOR THE CUPCAKES
- 1/2 cup oil (vegetable or canola)
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar (light or dark)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 3/4 cup sour cream, yogurt, or buttermilk, room temperature
- 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp cinnamon
- 2 peaches, peeled, pitted, and finely chopped (about 1 1/2 cups finely diced peaches)
FOR THE PEACH BUTTERCREAM FROSTING
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 cups powdered sugar, sifted, plus more if needed
- 1 cup peeled, chopped peaches (from about 2 peaches), reduced (see directions below)
- 1 additional tablespoon finely chopped peach
- a pinch of salt
FOR THE CUPCAKES
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line cupcake pan with liners.
- In a medium sized bowl, stir to combine the sour cream or yogurt, oil, eggs, and vanilla.
- In a large bowl, whisk the sugar, flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt together in and set aside.
- Pour the yogurt-oil mixture into the dry ingredients and whisk until smooth. Stir in the chopped peaches.
- Evenly distribute the batter by filling each cupcake liner between 2/3 and 3/4 full. Bake 15-18 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the center of a cupcake. Allow cupcakes to cool completely before frosting.
FOR THE PEACH BUTTERCREAM FROSTING
- Peel and chop the peaches. Place in a food processor and pulse until pureed. Pour peach puree into a small saucepan. Bring the puree to a low boil and keep it at a low boil for 15 minutes or until peaches have reduced to 1/4 cup. Pour the reduction into a bowl or glass measuring cup. Allow to cool at room temperature or in the refrigerator. Once cooled, continue with the frosting recipe.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer or in a large mixing bowl, using a hand held mixer, beat the butter and salt on medium speed until butter is smooth. Scrape down the sides of the bowl. Turn mixer to low and add half of the powdered sugar. Beat until combined and smooth.
- Add the peach reduction and beat on medium speed until mixture is combined. Add the vanilla extract and the remaining powdered sugar followed by the tablespoon of finely chopped peaches. Beat until frosting is smooth.
- Decorate cupcakes as desired. For rose shapes as pictured, use a Wilton 1M or any star tip. Start in the middle of the cupcake and pipe in a circle outward.
If frosting is too thin, add more powdered sugar. If it’s too thick, add milk or heavy cream.
Keywords: cupcakes, peach, peaches, fruit, fresh fruit, buttercream, frosting, icing, peach buttercream, peach cupcakes,