This gorgeous Shrimp Salad with Avocado and Mango recipe is hearty yet light and impressive yet easy to make! Ready in twenty minutes, it’s ready to star as a healthy main dish. It’ll also lighten up any lunch or dinner table as an eye catching side.
One of the best tagines I had when I lived in Morocco was a unique stew with shrimp and mangoes. I wouldn’t have thought of those two together, but the combination made perfect sense once I tried it! Both have a lightness and healthiness to them. I loved that bright fresh look and taste of the mango with the light yet filling shrimp.
The shrimp-mango tagine is great in cooler months, but this salad is the answer to my summertime shrimp-mango cravings! To this tasty duo, I add avocado, more fresh veggies and my favorite lemon-olive oil dressing.
COLOR AND HEALTH
Whether you make it for a crowd or as a quick weeknight meal, the colors in this dish will brighten up your table! It literally looks like summer to me and makes me feel healthy and happy just looking at it.
The colors give this salad an “eat the rainbow” vibe. The vibrant and varied colors are definitely indicative of all the health benefits packed in each ingredient and of the salad as a whole.
Since it’s a salad, I cook the shrimp first to allow them time to cool. You can use any size shrimp. I use medium (31-40 Count), but you can use something smaller or larger. If you use jumbo shrimp, I recommend chopping them once they’re cooked so that they’re bite sized.
After you prep your shrimp, pat them dry with paper towels. Drying them will help the olive oil mixture to better coat to them. Toss your shrimp with the olive oil, salt, pepper and whatever dried herbs or spices you choose. I like 1/4-1/2 tsp of herbs or spices to my shrimp. For this recipe, I used dried oregano, but you can also use a combo of paprika and cumin, or a spice mix such as Old Bay or Cajun spice.
The shrimp cook up in minutes. While they cool, whisk the dressing together and chop the mango and vegetables. In addition to changing up the herbs and spices added to the shrimp, you can also change up the veggies. Cucumber and fresh roasted corn also add awesome color and fresh flavor!
You’ll love how easy and versatile this Shrimp Salad with Avocado and Mango is. It’s quickly become one of my favorite go-to summer meals. I can also see myself making it in the winter when I’m craving a taste of summer!
FOR MORE DELICIOUS SALAD RECIPES, CHECK OUT MY:Print
It’s hard to believe this fresh, delicious Shrimp Salad with Avocado and Mango is both easy and healthy! Make it in minutes and enjoy it for lunch or dinner!
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1 mango, diced
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1/2 green pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup green onions, chopped (about two green onions)
- 1/4 cup parsley, finely chopped
- 1 lb medium raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano (optional)
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper
FOR THE DRESSING
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- salt and pepper
1. Combine the shrimp, garlic, oregano, olive oil, salt and pepper in a bowl. Mix well to make sure shrimp is well coated.
2. Arrange the shrimp in a single layer in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook for 2-3 minutes, until the shrimp becomes pink. Flip and cook 1-2 more minutes on the other side until shrimp are cooked through. Remove from heat and set aside.
3. In a smaller bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper. Set aside.
4. Combine the avocado, mango, tomatoes, celery, pepper, green onions, and parsley in a large bowl. Add the dressing and shrimp and mix well.
The dried oregano with shrimp is optional. I also like using the 1/4 tsp paprika with 1/4 tsp cumin or 1/4-1/2 tsp Old Bay or Cajun Seasoning.
Keywords: shrimp, healthy, salad, summer, dinner, lunch