These Condensed Milk Chocolate Chip Cookies are buttery, rich and so delicious! These chewy cookies are made with sweetened condensed milk and brown sugar. They are filled with chocolate chips and dulce de leche!
I love the rich, sweet flavor of condensed milk. I knew it would be delicious in cookies! These cookies are thick, chewy and perfectly sweet!
If you love baking with condensed milk, try my condensed milk brownies!
WHY THIS RECIPE WORKS
- Sweetened condensed milk- Sweetened condensed milk adds a a rich flavor and sweetness to cookies. It also makes cookies soft and chewy.
- Dulce de leche- These cookies are baked with dulce de leche in the middle. Dulce de leche is sweetened condensed milk that has been heated until develops a caramel color. It makes the perfect gooey filling!
- Chocolate chips-Chocolate chips add the perfect amount of chocolate to every bite!
Below are some useful notes on some of the ingredients. See recipe card below for full list of ingredients and quantities.
- Butter– Use unsalted, room temperature butter.
- Brown sugar-Use light or dark.
- Sweetened condensed milk- Use store bought sweetened condensed milk.
- Cinnamon– Adds a warm flavor that goes so well with the other ingredients.
- Chocolate chips– Use semi-sweet chocolate.
- Dulce de leche- Use store bought or homemade dulce de leche for this recipe. Preppy Kitchen has a great recipe for dulce de leche. I would not recommend Eagle Brand Dulce de leche. I find the consistency is not thick enough.
- Flaky sea salt- Sprinkling a pinch of flaky sea salt on cookies before or after baking is optional but recommended! It brings out the flavors and balances out the sweetness.
STEP ONE- Form and freeze dulce de leche balls. Use a quarter teaspoon measuring spoon to scoop out little balls of dulce de leche. Place them baking sheet in freezer while you prepare cookie dough.
STEP TWO-Beat the butter, sugars. In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter and sugars on medium high for about 2 minutes until fluffy.
STEP THREE-Mix in the sweetened condensed milk. Add the sweetened condensed milk. Beat until combined.
STEP FOUR- Add the dry ingredients and chocolate chips. Beat in dry ingredients with the mixer on low til combined. Add the chocolate chips beat until just combined.
STEP FIVE- Form and chill cookie dough. Use a 1 tablespoon cookie scoop to scoop out cookie dough balls. Place dough balls on a baking sheet. Chill in the fridge for 1 hour.
STEP SIX- Fill cookie dough with dulce de leche. Use your thumb or a rounded 1/2 teaspoon measuring spoon to create an indentation in half the cookie dough balls. Place one ball of the dulce de leche in half the cookie dough balls. Place empty cookie dough half over the top of the dulce de leche half. Pinch the sides together to seal the dulce de leche inside.
STEP SEVEN- Place cookie dough balls on baking sheet. Cover with plastic wrap. Chill 30 minutes.
STEP EIGHT- Bake and enjoy! Preheat oven to 375. Bake cookies two inches apart for 10-12 minutes until lightly golden on top. Sprinkle with flaky sea salt, if desired.
Hint: Make sure to seal edges of the cookie dough balls. This will make sure dulce de leche doesn’t leak out as cookies bake.
- Chocolate chips – use regular or mini chocolate chips. Chopped chocolate also works
- Oats – use additional flour in place of the oats
See these Dulce de Leche cookies on my blog for a thumbprint cookie version!
These chocolate chip condensed milk cookies would be my top choice! You can also make this 3 Minute Fudge from Chocolate, Chocolate and More!
There are several types and brands of sweetened condensed milk. Most of them are gluten free. It’s a good idea to check the label or website of the brand you are using to be sure.
Depending on the recipe, coconut milk can be used a substitute. For this recipe, I would not recommend coconut milk or any other substitute.
Store the cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days.
Make sure that cookies are well sealed. This will make sure the dulce de leche doesn’t seep out while they bake.
Don’t confuse sweetened condensed milk with evaporated milk. They are not the same thing and cannot be used interchangeably.
Before baking or as soon as you take cookies out of the oven, top them with a few extra chocolate chips and a sprinkle of flaky sea salt!
MORE RECIPES WITH CONDENSED MILK
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon brown sugar, light or dark, packed
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 1/4 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1 and 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- dulce de leche, store bought or homemade, about 1/3 cup*
- flaky sea salt, optional, for sprinkling
- Line a quarter baking sheet with wax paper. Use a quarter teaspoon measuring spoon to scoop out little balls of dulce de leche. Place them on the baking sheet. Place baking sheet in freezer while you prepare cookie dough.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, whisk to combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt and rolled oats. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, use an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment to beat the butter and sugars on medium high for about 2 minutes until fluffy.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add the vanilla extract and the egg and beat at medium speed for 1 minute.
- Add the sweetened condensed milk. Beat until combined. Add the dry ingredients. Beat on low til combined. Add the chocolate chips beat until just combined.
- Use a 1 tablespoon cookie scoop to scoop out cookie dough balls. Place dough balls on a baking sheet. Cover with plastic wrap. Chill in the fridge for 1 hour.
- Take out cookie dough balls. Use your thumb or a rounded 1/2 teaspoon measuring spoon to create an indentation in half the cookie dough balls. Take dulce de leche out of the freezer. Place one ball of dulce de leche in half the cookie dough balls. Place empty cookie dough half over the top of the dulce de leche half. Pinch the sides together to seal the dulce de leche inside. Roll cookies gently in your hand to give them an evenly round cookie dough ball shape. Place cookie dough balls on baking sheet. Cover with plastic wrap. Chill 3o minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 Fahrenheit. Bake cookies two inches apart for 10-12 minutes until lightly golden on top. Allow to cool on baking sheet five minutes then transfer to a cooling rack to cool. Sprinkle with flaky sea salt, if desired.
*You’ll need about 1/4 teaspoon dulce de leche per cookie.
Keywords: cookies, dulce de leche, chocolate chip, sweetened condensed milk