Yum! Edible Sugar Cookie Dough! Made with basic pantry ingredients, this treat is buttery, rich, and deliciously sweet! Omitting the eggs and heat treating the flour makes it safe to eat. The dough is quick and easy to make and can be enjoyed by the spoonful or scooped or rolled in balls. Toss in some mini chocolate chips and rainbow sprinkles for more flavor and color!
ALL ABOUT EDIBLE COOKIE DOUGH
It’s the holiday season which means it’s time to bake cookies! I know I’m not the only one who is tempted to sneak a taste of sugary, buttery cookie dough. The only problem is that cookie dough has eggs in it! Solution: make edible cookie dough!
HOW IS THIS COOKIE DOUGH DIFFERENT FROM REGULAR COOKIE DOUGH?
Edible sugar cookie dough makes it possible to enjoy sugar cookie dough without worrying about getting sick. It has similar ingredients and a similar method as regular cookies, with a few differences:
- Eggs Are Omitted
- Flour is Heat Treated
- It’s Not Baked!
MORE COOKIE DOUGH RECIPES
If you love cookie dough, you’ll definitely enjoy these Cookie Dough Brownies. Another cookie dough treat perfect for holiday cookie boxes, are these White Chocolate Cookie Dough Truffles that I made last winter. If you’re wishing there was a recipe for edible brown batter, you’re in luck! My Edible Brownie Batter recipe makes it possible to safely enjoy edible brownie batter.
WHAT ARE THE INGREDIENTS FOR COOKIE DOUGH?
This cookie dough is made up of the usual cookie dough ingredients (minus the eggs).
- Butter: I use unsalted, but salted butter can also be used. Make sure your butter is softened to room temperature.
- Light Brown Sugar: I like the additional flavor brown sugar adds, but if you prefer, you can use all granulated sugar.
- Granulated sugar
- Milk: To make it creamier.
- Vanilla Extract: For its sweet flavor.
- Flour: Heat treated. See below
- Salt: Just a pinch. To bring out the flavor and balance out a little of the sweetness. If using salted butter, you don’t need to add additional salt.
- Mini chocolate chips (optional)
- Sprinkles (optional)
HEAT TREATING THE FLOUR
To make sure the cookie dough is edible, it’s as simple as omitting eggs from the recipe and heat treating the flour. Heat treating the flour is a precautionary step to kill off any existing bacteria. This step is optional but recommended.
All you need to do is spread the flour on a large parchment paper lined baking sheet and put it in a 350 F oven for six minutes. Allow it to cool then use the flour according to the recipe instructions.
Once the flour has been treated and cooled, whisk it with the other dry ingredients. Again, this is optional, but I always do it just to be on the safe side. Also I should mention it will probably feel funny “baking flour!”
HOW TO ENJOY THIS COOKIE DOUGH
- Straight From the Mixing Bowl: Because isn’t this everyone’s favorite way of eating cookie dough?!
- In Bowls: Use an ice cream scooper or spoon to serve it in little bowls and enjoy it with a spoon.
- Scooped into Balls: It’s fun to eat by the spoonful but maybe even more fun to eat cookie dough balls! Use a small cookie scoop or a large ice cream scoop to form balls. You can also form them with your hands. Serve them on a dish or in muffin or truffle liners.
MORE DELICIOUS COOKIE DOUGH RECIPES
In addition to this recipe, there are lots of other ways to enjoy cookie dough. This Cookie Dough Dip Recipe from Add a Pinch and this Edible Sugar Cookie Dough recipe from Family Fresh Meals both sound amazing!
There’s really nothing not to love about this Edible Sugar Cookie Dough. The fact that this recipe is quick and uses basic ingredients, makes it dangerously easy to make! It’s a rich, buttery, gooey treat. Perfect to make for yourself or to make and share with others!Print
Perfect comfort food: Edible Sugar Cookie Dough! This easy recipe is the perfect no bake treat. It’s rich, buttery, and deliciously sweet!
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2–4 tablespoons brown sugar, according to taste
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 3/4 cup flour
- pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon milk, add a little at a time, depending on consistency
- 3 tablespoons mini chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons sprinkles
- Begin by heat treating the flour. Preheat oven to 350 F. Spread the flour evenly on a baking sheet lined with parchment. Bake 6 minutes. Watch it closely towards the last few minutes to make sure it doesn’t burn. Allow to cool.
- In a large bowl or in the bowl of an electric mixer, cream the sugar and butter on medium for about a minute until combined and light and fluffy. Add the vanilla and milk. Turn the mixer on low and add gradually add the flour and salt until combined. Stir in the chocolate chips and/or sprinkles.
- Enjoy straight from the bowl with spoons, scooped and served in individual bowls or scooped or rolled into balls. Store in an airtight container in the fridge.
Keywords: edible cookie dough, sugar cookie dough, sugar cookies, eggless, no bake, cookies, cookie dough