This homemade edible brownie batter is easy, fudgy and tastes just like regular brownie batter! It’s customizable so you can add your favorite toppings. It’s completely safe to eat and only takes minutes to make!
This brownie batter is so good! You may love it more than brownies! It’s sweet, gooey, chocolatey and safe to eat!
This recipe for homemade brownie batter is almost as easy as edible brownie batter from a box. I love edible cookie dough. I knew edible brownie cookie dough would also be delicious!
Serve this brownie batter as a dip for cookies or pretzels, serve it with ice cream, drizzle chocolate sauce over it or simply dig right in with a spoon!
WHY THIS RECIPE WORKS
- Easy- This safe to eat brownie batter only takes minutes to make. The only time you need the oven is to heat treat the flour. Bonus: it is made with pantry friendly ingredients!
- Fun- It’s as fun and indulgent to eat as brownie batter straight from the mixing bowl!
- Chocolatey- This batter is made with both cocoa powder and chocolate chips!
- Customizable- You can add your favorite toppings!
Below are some useful notes about some of the ingredients for this edible batter. See recipe card below for full list of ingredients.
- Cocoa powder: Unsweetened cocoa powder gives this batter its chocolatey taste.
- Flour: I use all-purpose flour. The flour is heat treated to kill off any existing bacteria. This step is option but recommended. You can heat treat flour in the oven or the microwave.
- Salt: Salt helps balance out the sweetness. It also brings out the chocolate flavor!
- Chocolate chips: Instead of chocolate chips, use white chocolate chips, butterscotch chips, peanut butter chips, mini chocolate chips or even chopped chocolate!
The instructions below will tell you how to make edible brownie batter. See recipe card below for full list of ingredients and measurements.
Step one: Heat treat the flour. Heat treating the flour is a precautionary step to kill off any existing bacteria. This is option but recommended.
To heat treat the flour in the oven: spread the flour on a large parchment paper lined baking sheet. Bake at 350 F oven for 5 minutes.
To heat treat flour in the microwave: put flour in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave 30 seconds to 1 minute. Continue cooking in 15 second intervals until flour reaches for 160 degrees Fahrenheit.
Step two: Combine the dry ingredients. Whisk to combine the flour, cocoa powder and salt.
Step three: Cream the butter and sugars. Using an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugars.
Step four: Add the dry ingredients, milk and vanilla. Stir in the dry ingredients, milk and vanilla extract.
Step five: Add the add ins! This is the fun part. Mix the add ins into the mixing bowl or divide dough into bowls and allow people to add their own customized add ins!
This edible batter is super customizable. You can make variations depending on your taste. Below are some suggestions for additional toppings.
- Candy: M&Ms, Peanut M&Ms, Reese’s Pieces, and Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups would all be delicious!
- Sprinkles: Use your favorite sprinkles to make this treat extra fun!
- Chopped cookies: Add some chopped or crushed Oreos, Nutter Butter cookies or graham crackers!
- Nuts: Just like in regular brownies, nuts are also delicious in brownie dough! Add chopped almonds, walnuts or pecans!
- Peanut butter: Peanut butter and chocolate go so well together! Stir some peanut butter into your edible brownie batter!
- Fruit: Top the batter or stir in some strawberries or bananas.
Store leftover brownie batter in airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
You can freeze edible brownie batter for up to 3 months. Leave it on the counter to allow it to come to room temperature.
Regular brownie batter that you make when making brownies is not safe to eat because it contains flour and eggs. This recipe does not contain eggs and is made with heat treated flour, so it is safe to eat.
This recipe makes about 1 and a half cups. For a single serving, you can make the recipe and save the rest for later. You’ll love having it in the fridge! You can also divide the recipe for a large single serving!
This easy recipe for edible brownie batter is a super rich, fudgy dessert that only takes minutes to make! Top it with your favorite toppings!
- 1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons all purpose flour, heat treated
- 1/8–1/4 teaspoon sea salt (to taste)
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup granulated sugar (to taste)
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 4–5 tablespoons whole milk or heavy cream
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Additional sea salt, optional
- Begin by heat treating the flour. Preheat oven to 350 F. Spread the flour evenly on a baking sheet lined with parchment. Bake 5 minutes. Cool completely.
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa and salt.
- In a large bowl or in the bowl of an electric mixer, cream the sugar and butter. Use a spoon or spatula to slowly stir in the dry ingredients followed by the milk and vanilla. Stir in the chocolate chips or have people stir in the chocolate chips or toppings of their choice. Sprinkle with a little sea salt if you like. Enjoy!
Keywords: brownies, brownie batter, brownie cookie dough, eggless, edible, strawberry sauce, sea salt, m&ms, chocolate, chocolate chips