Grab a spoon and dive into this thick, fudgy, addicting Edible Brownie Batter! Made with heat treated flour and without eggs, it’s unbelievably easy and fast to whip up. This rich, creamy dessert is the perfect go-to for when you crave something sweet!
What is it about brownie batter and cookie dough that is so good?! Whether it’s my nutty, creamy Tahini Brownies, my Sour Cream Chocolate Chip Cookies, or my Shortbread Cookies with Mini Chocolate Chips, I’m almost always tempted to taste my batter and cookie dough when cooking. I know that it’s not the safest thing to do, so this edible brownie dough makes it possible to enjoy brownie batter guilt free!
HOW TO MAKE EDIBLE BROWNIE BATTER
Making brownie batter is easier than making brownies or cookies because you don’t need to bake the batter. You follow similar steps to making brownies, but leave out the eggs and will need to heat treat the flour.
HEAT TREATING THE FLOUR
To make sure the batter is edible, it’s as simple as omitting eggs from the recipe and heat treating the flour. Heat treating the flour is a precautionary step to kill off any existing bacteria. This step is option but recommended.
All you need to do is spread the flour on a large parchment paper lined baking sheet and put it in a 350 F oven for five minutes. Allow it to cool then use the flour according to the recipe instructions.
Once the flour has been treated and cooled, whisk it with the other dry ingredients.
Next, you’ll cream together the butter and sugars. I use a mixer for that but switch over to a wooden spoon when I then add my dry ingredients to the butter/sugar.
Add the dry ingredients in batches followed by the milk and vanilla. Lastly, toss in the chocolate chips (or whatever type of chips/chocolate you prefer). That’s it! Into some dishes or small glasses or directly onto spoons it goes!
TOPPINGS FOR EDIBLE BROWNIE BATTER
This is an amazing dessert as is, but it’s always fun to get creative with toppings. For chocolate chips that get stirred into the batter at the end, you have lots of options! Feel free to use dark or semisweet chocolate.
For the shape of the chocolate, use:
- chocolate chunks
- chopped up chocolate
Some other yummy things to stir into the batter are:
- butterscotch chips
- peanut butter chips
- chopped up nuts
Top it all off with:
- hot fudge or caramel sauce
- roasted strawberry sauce
- chopped nuts
This is my second edible cookie dough recipe and I couldn’t love it more. It’s rich, sweet and addicting. My favorite topping way to eat it is definitely the roasted strawberry sauce! It adds a little freshness and is so amazing with the chocolate! I’m sure you all will come up with other yummy topping ideas and I can’t wait to hear them!
LOOKING FOR MORE INDULGENT CHOCOLATE RECIPES? TRY MY:Print
This easy recipe for EDIBLE BROWNIE BATTER is a super rich, fudgy dessert that only takes minutes to make! Top it with your favorite toppings!
FOR THE BROWNIE BATTER
- 1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder (Dutch processed cocoa powder recommended)
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons all purpose flour, heat treated (directions below and in blog post)
- 1/8–1/4 teaspoon sea salt (to taste)
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup granulated sugar (to taste)
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 4–5 tablespoons whole milk
- 1/2 cup– 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips (mini, regular sized or chunks) or butterscotch or peanut butter chips
- Additional sea salt, optional (to sprinkle on when serving)
FOR THE ROASTED STRAWBERRY SAUCE (OPTIONAL)
- 2 cups (about 1/2 lb) strawberries, hulled and halved if small or quartered if large
- 2–3 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
FOR THE BROWNIE BATTER
- Begin by heat treating the flour. Preheat oven to 350 F. Spread the flour evenly on a baking sheet lined with parchment. Bake five minutes. Cool completely.
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa and salt.
- In a large bowl or in the bowl of an electric mixer, cream the sugar and butter. Use a spoon or spatula to slowly stir in the flour followed by the milk and vanilla. Stir in the chocolate chips or have people stir in the chocolate chips or topping of their choice. Sprinkle with a little sea salt if you like.
FOR THE OPTIONAL ROASTED STRAWBERRY SAUCE
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Toss the strawberries with the vanilla, lemon juice and vanilla to coat. Place the strawberries and liquid on a lined baking sheet lined and roast for 15-17 minutes, stirring halfway. Allow the strawberries cool then lightly mash or chop them along with their liquid. Set aside. Serve as is or mash or lightly chop berries.
Keywords: brownies, brownie batter, brownie cookie dough, eggless, edible, strawberry sauce, sea salt, m&ms, chocolate, chocolate chips