Red Velvet Oreo Brownies: moist, chocolatey red velvet brownies with whole Oreo cookies baked inside, topped with a cream cheese layer and a luscious chocolate ganache. If you’re looking for decadent brownies that are perfect for Christmas, these are it!
RED VELVET BROWNIES
The base for this recipe are red velvet brownies that would be perfectly delicious on its own. We are jazzing them up for the holidays by adding a layer of whole Oreos baked inside and not one…. but two toppings: cream cheese and chocolate ganache!
OTHER BROWNIE RECIPES
You just can’t beat brownies for dessert. These Brown Butter Brownies are one of my favorite classic brownie recipes. For another holiday worthy brownie dessert, you can’t go wrong with my Chocolate Brownie Meringue Cake!
WHAT’S IN THESE RED VELVET BROWNIES?
Here’s more about each layer of these indulgent brownies:
- Fudgy Red Velvet Brownies: The heart of this recipe are the red velvet brownies. Red velvet brownies….perfect for the holidays! They have a stunning color, delicious vanilla-chocolate flavor, and dense, moist texture.
- Oreos: As you can see in the pictures, whole Oreos are baked right in the brownies! They are seriously a dessert within a dessert! They add so much extra deliciousness and a crunch that you wouldn’t expect in brownies!
- Cream Cheese: The next layer is a creamy layer of luscious cream cheese topped with crushed Oreos. So GOOD!
- Chocolate Ganache: Sealing everything in with a thick layer of chocolate ganache!
MAKING THE RED VELVET BROWNIES
These might seem complicated because they are red velvet brownies, but it’s a pretty straightforward brownie recipe. The main difference is that you’re adding red food coloring and some vinegar to give the brownies their red color.
To get the Oreos in the middle of the brownies, you’ll just spread one half of the batter into the pan. Next. arrange the Oreos evenly over top of the brownies. Spoon the other half of the brownies and spread it out evenly. I love using my offset spatula for this!
MAKING THE CREAM CHEESE LAYER
So…the brownies are super easy to make and guess what- the remaining layers are even easier!
For the cream cheese layer, you simply blend the cream cheese, egg, and sugar for a few minutes and that’s it. Make sure to use room temperature cream cheese.
You’ll add some more Oreos to this layer. Just crumble them up/crush them and stir them into the cream cheese mixture. You can also toss the crumbled Oreos on top of the cream cheese layer after you’ve spread the cream cheese.
ABOUT THE DARK CHOCOLATE GANACHE
I had to make sure these brownies were clearly in the dessert territory, so needed to top them with more chocolate! Frosting felt like it’d be too much, but ganache is the perfect finishing touch! Basically a thick, but not too thick layer of chocolate on top!
THIS GANACHE IS:
- Thick: Sets up nicely.
- Silky Smooth: It’s so easy to spread.
- Shiny: So pretty when it sets.
- Chocolatey: Chocolate on chocolate!
- Easy: Two ingredients and two minutes to make!
WHAT YOU NEED TO MAKE DARK CHOCOLATE GANACHE
- Chocolate: Chopped. Chopping it makes it melt faster/easier.
- Heavy Cream: Makes it super rich and spreadable.
If you still have brownies on your mind, I highly recommend these Red Velvet Oreo Brownies from Sally’s Baking Addiction. They’re made with cookies ‘n cream frosting! I also want to dive head first into these Red Velvet Oreo Brownies from Delish!
The holidays just got a little bit sweeter with these Red Velvet Oreo Brownies. What’s not to love about indulgent, Oreo stuffed brownies layered with cream cheese, baked and topped with thick chocolate ganache?! Drop some off for friends and family or make them for a Christmas Eve or day dessert! Everyone will love them. They’re easy to make, fun to eat and….most importantly are totally delicious!Print
Sweeten up the holidays with these Red Velvet Oreo Brownies! From scratch yet simple to make Oreo stuffed red velvet brownies baked with cream cheese on top and finished with thick chocolate ganache! They’re the perfect treat to package up for gifting or to serve at Christmas!
FOR THE CREAM CHEESE LAYER
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 8 crushed Oreos, for decoration
FOR THE OREO RED VELVET BROWNIES
- 2 large eggs, room temperature, beaten
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 1/4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 1/2 tablespoons unweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon red food coloring
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons flour
- 16 whole Oreos
FOR THE CHOCOLATE GANACHE
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- 3/4 cup (about 4 ounces) chocolate, dark or semi-sweet, chopped
FOR THE CREAM CHEESE LAYER
- Using an electric mixer on medium speed, blend the cream cheese, egg, and ⅓ cup sugar for 2-3 minutes or until fluffy. Set aside.
FOR THE OREO RED VELVET BROWNIE LAYER
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Line an 8×8 square pan with two strips of parchment paper or aluminum foil. Leave an overhang on all four sides.
- Melt the butter on the stovetop or in the microwave then pour into a large bowl. To the butter, stir in (in the following order) the sugar, followed by the vanilla, cocoa powder, salt, food coloring, and vinegar. Whisk in the beaten eggs. Stir in the flour until just combined. Avoid overmixing. Pour the brownie batter into the pan. Use a spatula or offset spatula to evenly spread the brownies. Place the whole Oreos evenly in rows on top of the batter. Spread the prepared cream cheese filling over top. Sprinkle with crushed Oreos.
- Bake the brownies for 24-28 minutes or until a toothpick or cake tester comes out mostly clean (some moist crumbs are okay). Allow the brownies to cool at room temperature, then transfer to the refrigerator to cool completely.
- Once cooled, top with the ganache. Store in an airtight container in the fridge.
FOR THE CHOCOLATE GANACHE
- Heat the heavy cream in the microwave until it starts to bubble. Pour the hot cream over the chocolate and let it sit for 3 minutes. Whisk the two ingredients together until the chocolate has melted completely and you have a silky ganache. Pour the ganache over the brownies and spread it with an offset spatula.
- Place the brownies in the fridge for 30 minutes to allow the ganache to set.
Keywords: brownies, red velvet, cream cheese, oreos, oreo brownies, chocolate