These Cherry Popsicles are chocolately, fruity and delicious. They are simple to make, super refreshing and are the perfect no-bake summer dessert!
These homemade cherry popsicles are made with fresh cherries, Greek yogurt and cocoa powder. Sweeten them with maple syrup or honey. They make the best frozen summer treat.
Why This Recipe Works
- Creamy: Milk, Greek yogurt and a little cream cheese make these ultra creamy. So creamy, you might mistake them for ice cream!
- Chocolatey: Cocoa powder gives these perfect chocolate swirls and dark chocolate is the perfect decadent topping!
- Perfectly sweet: Sweeten these popsicles with your favorite natural sweetener. I usually make mine with honey but maple syrup is also delicious. They aren’t overly sweet and are still slightly tangy and refreshing.
- Vanilla Greek yogurt: I love using Greek yogurt any time I get the chance. It’s thick, creamy and slightly tangy. I wanted these popsicles to be decadent and creamy while still on the healthy side. Greek yogurt definitely helps give these popsicles an almost ice cream like creaminess.
- Cream cheese: Combined with the Greek yogurt, the little bit of cream cheese used in this recipe adds to the indulgent texture of these popsicles.
- Milk: I used whole milk to get the milk and cream cheese the right consistency. For a nutty alternative, almond milk can also be used.
- Vanilla: Vanilla extract adds so much flavor to these popsicles. I love using it in addition to the vanilla yogurt.
- Honey or maple syrup: Use your favorite natural sweetener to round out some of the natural tanginess of the yogurt and bitterness of the dark chocolate. After mixing the yogurt, cream cheese, milk and vanilla, give the mixture a taste and add sweetener until you achieve the degree of sweetness you like.
- Cocoa Powder: I recommend using Dutch processed, but regular natural cocoa powder can be used as well. The cocoa gets mixed in to a cup of the yogurt mixture.
- Fresh Cherries: There is nothing like enjoying these creamy, chocolatey treats and biting into a plump cherry half! Cherries and chocolate are so good together and really are the secret combination that makes these popsicles SO good!
- Dark chocolate: Dark chocolate is melted and drizzled over these popsicles. It’s a healthy choice but still gives these treats a decadent finish!
Start by mixing the yogurt, room temperature cream cheese, milk and vanilla in a food processor. Sweeten to taste.
Next, pour one cup of the yogurt mixture into a bowl and mix in the cocoa powder until completely combined and smooth.
Carefully spoon, pour or pipe some of the yogurt mixture and chocolate mixture and cherries in alternating layers into 10 popsicle molds. I poured a tablespoon of chocolate to every few tablespoons of the vanilla since we have more vanilla than chocolate filling. You can start with the chocolate or the vanilla.
Add the cherries throughout and use a popsicle stick or knife to push them down. Keep in mind that the cherries and the popsicle stick will increase the volume, so try not to fill the molds completely full before adding cherries.
Fill all the popsicles in the same style or make them each different. Either way they’ll be delicious! You can use the popicle sticks to swirl the mixtures around a little, if you like. This will give you a cool design and will mix the flavors together nicely.
Finally, place the cover on the popsicles, insert the sticks and then let them freeze until solid, 6 hours or overnight.
- Tip #1: To make removing them easier, run each individual popsicle mold under hot water for about 20 seconds then try to pull on the stick.
- Tip #2: To help the chocolate stick longer, add a little coconut oil or shortening to the chocolate. This is optional. They’ll still be yummy if you don’t use it.
- Tip #3: You’ll also need either a blender or food processor to puree the fruit and combine the yogurt and cream cheese. I find the food processor easier for this recipe because it’s easier to scrape the yogurt mixture out of instead of a blender.
More Recipes You Will Love
- 1 popsicle mold
- 1 1/2 cups vanilla Greek yogurt
- 2/3 cup milk
- 3 ounces cream cheese room temperature
- 2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 5-6 tablespoons honey maple syrup or sugar
- 1/4 cup cocoa preferably Dutch processed cocoa
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup cherries pitted and halved or quartered
FOR THE CHOCOLATE DRIZZLE
- 1/3 cup dark chocolate
- 1 tablespoon shortening or coconut oil optional*
- Pulse the yogurt, cream cheese, milk and vanilla, and sweetener of your choice in a blender or food processor until combined and smooth. Test/adjust sweetness. Pour one cup of the mixture into a medium sized bowl and whisk in the cocoa.
- Spoon the mixtures into the popsicle molds. as you like. You can make some of the plain vanilla mixture and then a little chocolate or vice versa. Add 3-4 cherry halves to each mold. Place the cover on and sticks inside and freeze 6 hours or overnight. When ready to serve. run the molds under hot water for about 20 seconds or leave them out at room temperature for about 5 minutes to make it easier to remove them.
- Melt the dark chocolate and coconut oil or shortening (if using). Dip the popsicles in the melted chocolate or drizzle them with chocolate. Freeze a few minutes until chocolate hardens then enjoy!
*This site contains affiliate links which means that I may receive commissions for purchases made through these links. Please know I only link to products that I use and can recommend based on my experience!