Chocolate Cherry Popsicles: creamy, chocolately, fruity and made with all natural ingredients. This cherry popsicle recipe is proof that dessert can be both healthy and delicious. Simple to make and a super refreshing and satisfying treat on a hot summer day!
ABOUT THESE CHOCOLATE, FRUITY POPSICLES
My Chocolate Cherry Popsicles really have everything you could want in a cool summer treat. They are:
- Creamy: Milk, Greek yogurt and a little bit of cream cheese make these ultra creamy. So creamy, your family might mistake them for ice cream!
- Chocolatey: Mixing cocoa into the base gives these perfect chocolate swirls and dark chocolate is the perfect decadent topping!
- Perfectly sweet: Sweetened with your favorite natural sweetener and to taste! I usually make mine with honey but maple syrup is also delicious. You can decide how sweet to make them so that aren’t overly sweet and are still slightly tangy and refreshing.
MORE DELICIOUS POPSICLE RECIPES
These are my third popsicle recipe, but first one to feature chocolate! For other fruity, healthy frozen treats, try my indulgent Mango Raspberry Popsicles and these simple, super fruity Fruit Yogurt Popsicles!
HOW DO I MAKE HOMEMADE POPSICLES?
I use this popsicle mold to make my popsicles. It comes with popsicle sticks and makes making popsicles at home very easy!
You’ll also need either a blender or food processor to puree the fruit and combine the yogurt and cream cheese. I find the food processor easier for this recipe because it’s easier to scrape the yogurt mixture out of instead of a blender.
WHAT’S IN THESE CHOCOLATE CHERRY POPSICLES?
- Vanilla Greek yogurt: I love using Greek yogurt any time I get the chance. It’s thick, creamy and slightly tangy. I wanted these popsicles to be decadent and creamy while still on the healthy side. Greek yogurt definitely helps give these popsicles an almost ice cream like creaminess.
- Cream cheese: Combined with the Greek yogurt, the little bit of cream cheese used in this recipe adds to the indulgent texture of these popsicles.
- Milk: I used whole milk to get the milk and cream cheese the right consistency. For a nutty alternative, almond milk can also be used.
- Vanilla: Vanilla extract adds so much flavor to these popsicles. I love using it in addition to the vanilla yogurt.
- Honey or maple syrup: Use your favorite natural sweetener to round out some of the natural tanginess of the yogurt and bitterness of the dark chocolate. After mixing the yogurt, cream cheese, milk and vanilla, give the mixture a taste and add sweetener until you achieve the degree of sweetness you like.
- Cocoa Powder: I recommend using Dutch processed, but regular natural cocoa powder can be used as well. The cocoa gets mixed in to a cup of the yogurt mixture.
- Fresh Cherries: There is nothing like enjoying these creamy, chocolatey treats and biting into a plump cherry half! Cherries and chocolate are so good together and really are the secret combination that makes these popsicles SO good!
- Dark chocolate: Dark chocolate is melted and drizzled over these popsicles. It’s a healthy choice but still gives these treats a decadent finish!
HOW DO YOU MAKE CHOCOLATE CHERRY POPSICLES?
These popsicles are simple and only take a few minutes to mix up.
Start by mixing the yogurt, room temperature cream cheese, milk and vanilla in a food processor. Sweeten to taste.
Next, pour one cup of the yogurt mixture into a bowl and mix in the cocoa powder until completely combined and smooth.
Carefully spoon, pour or pipe some of the yogurt mixture and chocolate mixture and cherries in alternating layers into 10 popsicle molds. I poured a tablespoon of chocolate to every few tablespoons of the vanilla since we have more vanilla than chocolate filling. You can start with the chocolate or the vanilla.
Add the cherries throughout and use a popsicle stick or knife to push them down. Keep in mind that the cherries and the popsicle stick will increase the volume, so try not to fill the molds completely full before adding cherries.
Fill all the popsicles in the same style or make them each different. Either way they’ll be delicious! You can use the popicle sticks to swirl the mixtures around a little, if you like. This will give you a cool design and will mix the flavors together nicely.
Finally, place the cover on the popsicles, insert the sticks and then let them freeze until solid, 6 hours or overnight.
HOW TO REMOVE POPSICLES FROM THE MOLDS
The popsicles will be frozen and therefore pretty stuck inside the molds. To make removing them easier, run each individual popsicle mold under hot water for about 20 seconds then try to pull on the stick.
DIP OR DRIZZLE WITH CHOCOLATE
The last step in making these delicious frozen treats is arguably the best part: chocolate! Once the popsicles are frozen, melt the chocolate in a bowl in the microwave. Melt it in 10 second bursts, giving it a stir in between bursts. To help the chocolate stick longer, add a little coconut oil or shortening to the chocolate. This is optional. They’ll still be yummy if you don’t use it.
The amount of chocolate the recipe calls for will give you enough to lightly drizzle each popsicle or to dip just the tips into. If you want to dip them all, simply melt a bit more chocolate.
Place the popsicles on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Drizzle the chocolate over top or dip the popsicles and lay them flat on the baking sheet. Freeze until chocolate sets (a few minutes).
These Chocolate Raspberry Popsicles are the perfect summer treat for for both kids and adults! They totally hit the spot when you want something chocolatey and fruity on a hot day. Creamy and decadent and also guilt free since they’re made with all natural ingredients! If you’re like me, you’ll be making them all summer long.
FOR MORE FROZEN DESSERTS, TRY MY:
- NO CHURN PEANUT BUTTER AND JELLY ICE CREAM WITH PEANUT BUTTER CUPS
- NO CHURN RASPBERRY AND ROASTED STRAWBERRY ICE CREAM
- NO CHURN RASPBERRY OREO ICE CREAM
This recipe for Chocolate Cherry Popsicles is super easy and makes creamy, refreshing and naturally sweet frozen treats! Sure to be a hit with kids AND adults!
- 1 1/2 cups vanilla Greek yogurt
- 2/3 cup milk
- 3 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 5–6 tablespoons honey, maple syrup or sugar
- 1/4 cup cocoa, preferably Dutch processed cocoa
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup cherries, pitted and halved or quartered
FOR THE CHOCOLATE DRIZZLE
- 1/3 cup dark chocolate
- 1 tablespoon shortening or coconut oil (optional)*
- Pulse the yogurt, cream cheese, milk and vanilla, and sweetener of your choice in a blender or food processor until combined and smooth. Test/adjust sweetness. Pour one cup of the mixture into a medium sized bowl and whisk in the cocoa.
- Spoon the mixtures into the popsicle molds. as you like. You can make some of the plain vanilla mixture and then a little chocolate or vice versa. Add 3-4 cherry halves to each mold. Place the cover on and sticks inside and freeze 6 hours or overnight. When ready to serve. run the molds under hot water for about 20 seconds or leave them out at room temperature for about 5 minutes to make it easier to remove them.
- Melt the dark chocolate and coconut oil or shortening (if using). Dip the popsicles in the melted chocolate or drizzle them with chocolate. Freeze a few minutes until chocolate hardens then enjoy!
*The shortening or coconut oil can be omitted. The chocolate will stick better with it, but it can be omitted.
Keywords: popsicles, popsicle, cherry, cherries, chocolate, cocoa, dark chocolate, greek yogurt, fruit
*This site contains affiliate links which means that I may receive commissions for purchases made through these links. Please know I only link to products that I use and can recommend based on my experience!