Homemade Chocolate Chip Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches. I wish I could go around the world handing these out, but the next best thing I can do is share the recipe. Soft, chewy sour cream chocolate chip cookies sandwiched with your favorite ice cream (any flavor!) and rolled in chocolate chips or rainbow sprinkles. Simple. Delicious. YUM!
Since we’re still in the days of social distancing, I wanted to keep this recipe simple and small batch. Why? Because people (myself included) are still gravitating towards simple recipes and because you don’t technically need a dozen ice cream sandwiches all to yourself or your household right now.
ABOUT THE INGREDIENTS
CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
These start with my great grandmother’s sour cream cookie recipe. I added chocolate chips to the original recipe and I’m not sure a better cookie exists for ice cream sandwiches. These cookies are soft, chewy, chocolatey and just super flavorful.
I made this small batch-ish which means they make a dozen cookies which means 6 ice cream sandwiches. Perfect amount. If you want to make two dozen, get the the original recipe here.
Also, if you love peanut butter and ice cream sandwiches, you’ll love these peanut butter cookie ice cream sandwiches made with peanut butter and jelly no churn ice cream with peanut butter cups!
Anything goes! Make your own, use what you have or buy your favorite brand. I used a good creamy vanilla ice cream that we had in the freezer. Fun fact: vanilla is my favorite ice cream flavor! Let’s not forget that vanilla is not plain and that it is actually a flavor!
Since the cookies are chocolate chip, any flavor ice cream will pair well with these.
A FEW ICE CREAM FLAVOR SUGGESTIONS:
- Peanut butter
- Mint Chocolate Chip
- Cookie Dough
- No Churn Peanut Butter and Jelly Peanut Butter Cup Ice Cream!
Again keeping it simple, these ice cream sandwiches have chocolate chips and rainbow sprinkles adhered to the creamy ice cream middles! Use what you like/have on hand.
A FEW MORE SUGGESTIONS FOR TOPPINGS:
- Chopped nuts: chopped almonds, pecans, pistachios, walnuts, toasted or not, would all look and taste amazing.
- Chocolate sprinkles
- Fruity Pebbles: yes, the cereal. It adds color, sweetness and crunch!
P.S. They’re delicious without toppings too!
HOW TO MAKE ICE CREAM SANDWICHES
The first step and most obvious step is to wait until the cookies have cooled completely! Next, you’ll sandwich some ice cream in between two cookies.
WITH A COOKIE CUTTER
To make the sandwiches super neat looking, you can spread some ice cream out on a a quarter sheet baking sheet lined with wax paper. After letting it freeze for at least an hour and a half, you can use a cookie or biscuit cutter to cut out little circles of ice cream. To get a clean cut, just rinse the cookie cutter in a little cold water before using.
WITH AN ICE CREAM SCOOP
I made my sandwiches the old fashioned way which was to just plop a scoop of ice cream on a cookie and sandwich it with another cookie on top. If you do it this way, just gently press the cookies together then enjoy!
SAVING THEM FOR LATER
To save the sandwiches for later, I like to both wrap them in plastic wrap and place them in a freezer safe container or plastic bag.
Made with just simple ingredients, these Chocolate Chip Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches are so delicious. You have to make them! Whip up a batch of these soft, chewy, chocolatey cookies and fill and decorate them with all your favorites!
FOR MORE DELICIOUS DESSERTS, TRY THESE:
Flourless Chocolate Espresso Cake (Serve with a scoop of ice cream!)Print
This recipe for homemade Chocolate Chip Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches will show you how to make this classic, delicious summer dessert!
FOR THE COOKIES
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 egg,* beaten
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
FOR THE ICE CREAM
- store bought or homemade
FOR THE DECORATION
- semi-sweet chocolate chips, mini or regular
- sprinkes, rainbow or chocolate
FOR THE COOKIES
- Preheat oven to 350 F and line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt Set aside.
- Cream the sugar and butter in the bowl of an electric mixer with the paddle attachment or with a handheld mixer on medium speed until just combined.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl then add the egg and blend well then add the vanilla.
- With the mixer on low speed, alternatively add the dry ingredients with the sour cream.
- Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Use a 2 tablespoon cookie scoop to drop the cookies onto the cookie sheet. Place them 2″ apart.
- Bake 10-12 minutes. Let cool on the baking sheet for 10 minutes before then transferring them to a rack to cool completely.
- Place a large scoop of ice cream (about 1/4 cup) on the bottom of a cookie. Gently press another cookie on top. Coat the sides with sprinkles or chocolate chips.
- Enjoy immediately or wrap tightly with plastic wrap and place in a freezer bag in the freezer to enjoy later.
*The cookie recipe calls for 1/2 an egg. For 1/2 an egg, simply crack and whisk and egg and carefully drop in about 1/2 of it into the recipe. It doesn’t have to be exact!
Keywords: Sour cream cookies, ice cream sandwiches, chocolate chips, sprinkles