This easy Old Fashioned Peanut Butter Cookie Recipe is the best! Peanut butter, vanilla, brown sugar and butter give their distinct sweet, rich taste. They are slightly chewy, perfectly crispy and delicious!
ABOUT THIS CLASSIC PEANUT BUTTER COOKIE RECIPE
I call these cookies Old Fashioned Peanut Butter Cookies because the recipe is from an Amish family and it doesn’t get much more old fashioned than that! I had stopped at the family’s stand for cookies last summer.
The mother told me they had a batch of peanut butter cookies cooling AND cinnamon buns baking. To my delight, the woman invited me into her simple, sparse and very hot kitchen to wait for the cookies to cool!
The cinnamon buns smelled so good, I decided to buy some of those too! While waiting for the buns to finish bake, I asked how they made their cookies.
In addition to getting some freshly baked cookies, the family also gave me their recipe! You’ll love the distinct sweet, rich taste. They are slightly chewy, perfectly crispy and delicious!
Like other classic recipes, there are so many good versions! For another delicious peanut butter cookie, definitely add these Peanut Butter Cookies from Simply Recipes to your baking list! For a less classic, but equally delicious recipes, make these Peanut Butter Marshmallow Chocolate Chip Cookies! If you love peanut butter and chocolate, then you will love these Peanut Butter Stuffed Salted Brownie Cookies!
WHAT’S INGREDIENTS DO I NEED TO MAKE THESE COOKIES?
As with most peanut butter cookies, these Old Fashioned Peanut Butter Cookies are loaded with butter and sugar. Loaded meaning two sticks, or one cup, of butter and one cup each white and brown sugar. I love the light molasses flavor or the brown sugar.
HOW TO MAKE HOMEMADE PEANUT BUTTER COOKIES
- Sift or whisk the dry ingredients together.
- Cream the butter, peanut butter and sugars with an electric mixer on medium for about 2-3 minutes until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs followed by the vanilla.
- Gradually mix the dry ingredients into the sugar/butter mixture.
- Shape the dough into balls about the using a rounded tablespoon of dough. Place balls on a parchment paper or silpat lined baking sheet about two inches apart.
- Use the tines of a lightly floured fork to create a crisscross cookies on top of each cookie. The flour will help prevent the fork from sticking into the dough.
I know you’ll enjoy making and eating these Old Fashioned Peanut Butter Cookies! To make an even more decadent dessert, whip up my No Churn Peanut Butter and Jelly Ice Cream with Peanut Butter Cups and scoop some in between two of these cookies for an amazing peanut butter ice cream sandwich!
FOR MORE DELICIOUS PEANUT BUTTER OR COOKIE RECIPES, TRY MY:Print
The recipe for these Old Fashioned Peanut Butter Cookies is easy to make and is the best recipe for classic, chewy, and delicious cookies!
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 eggs
- 3 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Sift or whisk together the flour, soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl or the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the peanut butter, butter, and sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Blend in the eggs one at a time. Add the vanilla.
- With the mixer on low, gradually mix in the flour mixture.
- Drop the dough in rounded tablespoon sized balls onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper about 2 inches apart. Dip a for in some flour and gently shake off the excess. Use the tines of the fork to press down and slightly flatten each ball, creating a criss-cross pattern. Bake 8-10 minutes or until golden.
- Cool on baking sheets five minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
Keywords: peanut butter cookies