Chocolate Chip Rice Krispie Treats: as fun and easy as original rice krispie treats! They are even more delicious thanks to brown butter, chocolate chips and mini marshmallows!
This easy recipe for rice krispie treats with chocolate chips is made with the traditional, easy kid-friendly ingredients of marshmallows and Rice Krispies cereal!
I love Rice Krispie Treats and wanted to upgrade them with some delicious add ins!The extra ingredients include extra marshmallows, browned butter, vanilla, salt, and chocolate chips!
If you’re looking for another yummy chocolate rice krispie treats recipe to try, make my chocolate covered rice krispie treats with M&Ms!
Why This Recipe Works
- Classic Rice Krispie Treat base: These are made with butter, marshmallows and Rice Krispies!
- Mini marshmallows: These treats are made with mini marshmallows. Some of the mini marshmallows are only partially melted marshmallows. You get gooey little pockets of melted marshmallow when you bite into them!
- Extra flavor: We add a pinch of salt to enhance all the flavors! This recipe also includes vanilla extract for extra flavor.
- Brown butter: Instead of melted butter, these treats are made with browned butter it for more flavor.
- Chocolate chips: They are filled with chocolate chips!
Below are notes about some of the ingredients.
- Butter: Use unsalted butter. After melting the butter, we keep cooking it to make brown butter! It only takes a few additional minutes but gives these treats a nutty, rich flavor!
- Marshmallows: You’ll need two ten ounce bags of mini marshmallows. Most of the marshmallows get melted into the butter and a small amount are reserved and added in at the end. Those last minute add ins melt slightly and become gooey.
- Rice Krispies: We’re keeping it classic and adding the original Rice Krispies cereal.
- Vanilla: Vanilla extract adds additional flavor.
- Salt: Salt balances out the sweetness from the marshmallows and chocolate. It also brings out the flavor of the chocolate!
- Semi-sweet Chocolate Chips: Chocolate and marshmallows go so well together!
Please see recipe card for full list of ingredients and their measurements.
- Melt the butter in a large pot over medium low heat. Stir occasionally at first. Once the butter begins to foam, stir constantly as you watch for it to turn a light, amber color then light golden brown. When it becomes light brown and has a nutty smell, remove the pan from the heat. This should take 3-4 minutes total.
- Stir 9 1/4 cups of marshmallows into the brown butter off the heat until the marshmallows have melted. Stir in the vanilla, salt, and the rice krispies. Stir until the rice krispie treats are coated with the marshmallow butter mixture then allow mixture to cool in the pot for about five minutes.
- Fold in the remaining 1 3/4 cups of mini marshmallows followed by the chocolate chips.
- Turn the mixture out into the parchment paper lined pan. Spread and press the mixture evenly into the pan.
- Let the Rice Krispie treats set for about 30 minutes. Cut into squares and enjoy!
It can be challenging to press the Rice Krispie treats into the pan since they are so sticky. Use your leftover butter wrapper, a greased spatula or even lightly greased hands to press the mixture into the pan.
Be sure not to press treats too hard when pressing them into the pan. This will compress the treats and give them a harder texture.
More Recipes You Will Love
Did you try this recipe or any other recipe on my website? Please leave a 🌟 star rating and 📝 comment below.
Chocolate Chip Rice Krispie Treats
- 11 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 11 cups mini marshmallows divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 9 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- ¾ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 pinch flaky sea salt for sprinkling on top, optional
- Line a 9×13 inch dish pan with parchment paper leaving excess on two sides (this will make the treats easier to remove from the pan once finished). Lightly spray or grease the parchment paper.
- Melt the butter in a large pot over medium low heat. Stir occasionally at first. Once the butter begins to foam, stir constantly as you watch for it to turn a light, amber color then light golden brown. When it becomes light brown and has a nutty smell, remove the pan from the heat. This should take 3-4 minutes total. There will be some little light brown bits on the bottom of the pan. That will add flavor. If the bits became too dark, strain the brown butter through a fine sieve to strain it, before returning the brown butter to the pan.
- Stir 9 1/4 cups of marshmallows into the brown butter off the heat until the marshmallows have melted. Stir in the vanilla and salt followed by the rice krispies. Stir until the rice krispie treats are coated with the marshmallow butter mixture then allow mixture to cool in the pot for about five minutes.
- Once mixture has slightly cooled, fold in the remaining 1 3/4 cups of mini marshmallows followed by the chocolate chips. Mix quickly and until just combined. It's okay if some of the remaining marshmallows and chocolate chips will melt or melt slightly. They're delicious if everything melts OR is partially melted. If you don't want the reserved marshmallows or chocolate chips to melt, wait at least ten minutes before adding them.
- Turn the mixture out into the parchment paper lined pan. Use your (greased or slightly wet) hands, a greased spatula or your leftover butter wrapper to gently spread and press the mixture evenly into the pan.
- Let the rice krispie treats set for about 30 minutes.
- Use the parchment paper to lift the rice krispie treats out of the pan and cut them into squares.