A few months ago I noticed these big M&M chocolate bars in the grocery store. I was a little obsessed with the idea of a chocolate bar made out of M&Ms, so I wanted to do something special with it. After a little thought and a batch of brown butter, I decided to bake these chocolate bars into a batch of brown butter cookies. The result are these brown butter chocolate cookies which are pretty much the dreamiest cookies I can imagine!
I love that this chocolate bar is a chocolate candy inside a chocolate bar. Amazing. If you haven’t found these chocolate bars in your grocery store yet, your cookies with also be amazing if you use your favorite bar of milk, white, or even dark chocolate. Use two bars of milk chocolate like I did or you could use one white and one dark. Any combination would look beautiful and taste delicious!
To make these already special cookies even more special, I made some brown butter. Brown butter is just one extra step that takes about five minutes. It involves cooking the butter on the stove top and gives the butter a rich taste unlike any other.
The cookies can be made with regular or brown butter, but I definitely recommend making brown butter! Jessica Gavin has this great post with helpful pictures and steps on How to Make Brown Butter.
I like to reserve a little bit of my chopped chocolate for decorating. Once the cookies are formed, go ahead a stick a few pieces of the chopped chocolate on top to make sure you’ll see them once baked. You could even add a couple of pieces of the reserved chopped chocolate to the tops once they come out of the oven. The hot cookies will melt the chocolate and they’ll be decadent chocolate pools that everyone will want to dive into!
For more cookie and dessert recipes, try my:Print
These brown butter chocolate cookies are crispy and chewy on the outside and gooey and chocolatey on the inside. With chunks of chopped M&M chocolate bars, you’ll taste chocolate in every bite!
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 large eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 M&M Chocolate Bars (or milk, white or dark chocolate bar of your choice) or 100 grams of your favorite chocolate bar, chopped
FOR THE BROWN BUTTER
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir occasionally at first. Once begins to bubble and comes to a boil, stir it constantly. It will start to foam. Continue stirring as you watch for it to turn a light, amber color and develop a nutty smell which should happen in about five minutes. Pour the brown butter into a heat safe bowl, making sure the scrape the bottom of the pan for all the bits. Place the butter in the fridge for about 30 minutes then proceed with the rest of the recipe.
FOR THE COOKIES
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Chop the chocolate in rough chunks and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl or the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the butter, sugars, and vanilla until creamy. Add the eggs one at a time followed by the egg yolk. Gradually beat in the dry ingredients. With a spatula or wooden spoon, stir in the chopped chocolate.
- Use a 2 oz cookie scoop or drop by very rounded tablespoons onto the baking sheets. Add a couple of extra pieces of chocolate to the tops of the prepared cookies, if desired. Bake 8 to 11 minutes. Carefully transfer the cookies to a cooling rack.
Keywords: Chocolate, M&Ms, Brown Butter, Cookies