These easy chocolate chip shortbread cookies come together so easily and everyone loves them! The cookies are crispy, crumbly and filled with chocolate. They are perfect for the holidays!
These chocolate chip shortbread cookies are super easy, melt in your mouth cookies! They’re buttery and chocolatey and you only need a handful of ingredients to make them.
I loved these flavorful lemon shortbread cookies so much that decided to make this chocolate chip version.
Why We Love This Recipe
- The cookie dough takes just minutes to make.
- This easy shortbread chocolate chip cookie recipe doesn’t require any specialty tools. You don’t even need cookie cutters.
- No need to roll out the dough. Just slice and bake!
- Their texture is crisp and melt in your mouth.
- You’ll definitely want to include them in holiday cookie boxes. For another fun holiday cookie, try these Halloween shortbread cookies!
Here are some useful notes on some of the ingredients for this chocolate chip shortbread recipe.
- Butter: Use room temperature unsalted butter.
- Powdered sugar: Powdered sugar is the same as icing sugar. Powdered sugar helps give these cookies their soft, melt in your mouth texture.
- Vanilla extract: Vanilla extract adds flavor to these cookies. For best flavor, use a high quality vanilla extract.
- 1 egg yolk: The egg yolk adds extra richness to these cookies.
- Salt: Salt brings out the flavor of these cookies. Without salt, the cookies would taste bland.
- Chocolate chips: I recommend using semi-sweet mini chocolate chips.
See recipe card below for full ingredient measurements.
Substitutions & Variations
- In place of unsalted butter, use salted butter. Leave out the extra salt if you use salted butter.
- Use regular chocolate chips or chopped chocolate instead of mini chocolate chips.
- To make the cookies extra yummy, dip them in melted chocolate.
- I haven’t tested a gluten free version of this recipe. Most of my cookies can be made gluten free. I would recommend using a 1:1 substitute of gluten free flour.
Step By Step Instructions
Step 1: Beat the butter and sugar with an electric mixer until fluffy. With the mixer running, add the vanilla, followed by the egg yolk.
Step 2: Mix in the flour and salt.
Step 3: Next, stir in the chocolate chips until incorporated.
Step 4: Form the dough into a 10 inch log. Roll it in plastic wrap. Chill until firm.
Step 5: Slice the dough into rounds about 1/4″ in size. Place them on baking sheets about 1 ” apart.
Step 7: Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 12-14 minutes. Allow cookies to cool on the baking sheets for 10 minutes. Then transfer them to racks to cool completely.
Store leftover cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week or in the fridge for up to 10 days. The cookie dough can be formed into a log and stored in the fridge for 2 days before baking.
Freeze leftover cookies in an airtight container for up to 3 months.
Wrap dough in plastic wrap and store in an airtight container. Freeze the cookie dough for up to 3 months. Be sure to write the date on the container. To bake, let the log thaw in the refrigerator for about 2 hours until you’re able to slice it.
Chill the dough for about 2 hours or until firm. Chilling helps the flavor to develop in this easy chocolate chip shortbread. It also makes the dough easier to slice.
The amount of salt can vary by brand. Use unsalted butter to control how much salt is in your cookies.
Use a serrated knife to slice the dough. A serrated knife will help cut through the chocolate.
Bake cookies until the edges just begin to turn golden brown
More Chocolate Cookies You’ll Love
Did you try this recipe or any other recipe on my website? Please leave a 🌟 star rating and 📝 comment below.
Chocolate Chip Shortbread Cookies
- 1 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 2/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup mini chocolate chips*
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, whisk to combine the flour and salt and set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer or a large mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar with an electric mixer on medium speed for about 3 minutes, until fluffy.
- With the mixer running, add the vanilla, followed by the egg yolk.
- Turn the mixer on low and slowly add the dry ingredients and mix until just incorporated. Stir in the chocolate chips until incorporated.
- Turn the dough out onto the counter top and form the dough into a 10 inch log. Roll it in plastic wrap and chill the dough for about 2 hours or until firm.
- Preheat oven to 350 F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Using a serrated knife, slice the cookie dough into rounds about 1/4″ in size.** Place them on the prepared baking sheets about 1 ” apart.
- Bake 12-14 minutes until the edges just begin to turn golden brown. Allow cookies to cool on the baking sheets for 10 minutes then transfer them to racks to cool completely.