These Strawberry Brownies combine fudgy strawberry brownies with a layer of luscious cheesecake. This recipe makes the perfect treat to make for Valentine’s Day or during strawberry season!
This strawberry brownies recipe features rich, chocolatey brownies with fresh strawberries baked inside. The layer of cream cheese on top turns them into strawberry cheesecake brownies.
These chocolate strawberry brownies combine two of my favorite things: strawberries and brownies! They are a chocolate and strawberry sensation!
Why We Love This Recipe
- Everyone loves chocolate and strawberries together!
- They fudgy strawberry brownies are topped with a cheesekcake layer! For another cheesecake brownie recipe, try these Red Velvet Oreo Brownies!
- They’re the perfect Valentine’s Day recipe. You can also make these during strawberry season!
Here are some useful notes on the ingredients needed to make these homemade strawberry brownies.
- Butter-Use unsalted butter. The butter is going to be melted, so it doesn’t need to be room temperature.
- Eggs– You’ll need 3 large eggs. Make sure eggs are room temperature so they best incorporate into the batter.
- Strawberries-Strawberries are what make these brownies extra special! They taste so good with the chocolate. You’ll need 1 cup of chopped fresh strawberries.
- Cream cheese– Use full fat brick-style cream cheese and not the tub of cream cheese. Cream cheese should be full fat.
Please see recipe card below for full list of ingredients and their measurements.
Substitutions & Variations
- You can use salted butter in place of unsalted butter. If you use salted butter, you’ll only need to add 1/4 teaspoon of salt to the batter.
- These brownies are delicious with or without the cream cheese topping. Feel free to leave out the cream cheese topping if you prefer.
- Leave out the extra melted chocolate at the end if you prefer.
- I haven’t made these brownies without eggs. If you’re looking for a good vegan brownie recipe, try these Best Ever Vegan Brownies by Nora Cooks!
- Use a 1:1 substitute of gluten free flour to make these gluten free.
Step 1: Melt the butter and chocolate chips together in the microwave or on the stovetop. Pour the mixture into a large mixing bowl.
Step 2: Whisk the the granulated sugar, brown sugar and vanilla with the melted butter and chocolate. Add the eggs and whisk for an additional 2 minutes.
Step 3: Stir in the dry ingredients and mix until combined. Avoid overmixing.
Step 4: Spread the brownie batter into an 8 x 8 inch pan. Top with half the strawberries and bake at 350 Fahrenheit for 30 minutes.
Step 5: While the brownies bake, make the cream cheese layer. Using an electric mixer or food processor, blend the cream cheese, egg, and ⅓ cup sugar for 2-3 minutes or until smooth and fluffy.
Step 6: Remove brownies from oven and carefully spread the cream cheese mixture over the brownies. Top with the remaining strawberries. Bake for an additional 20 minutes or until the cheesecake is set.
Step 7: Remove from oven and scatter the chopped chocolate over the top. Return the brownies to the oven for an additional 1-2 minutes to allow the chocolate to melt.
Tip #1: Use a light colored metal pan. I wouldn’t recommend using a glass pan or a dark colored pan for brownies.
Tip #2: Use a long, sharp knife to slice brownies. For best results, run the knife under hot water and wipe dry between slices.
Tip # 3: Avoid overmixing. Overmixing lets more air into the batter and gives you cakey brownies.
It’s best to cut brownies when they have cooled completely. This allows the brownies to set and makes it easier to cut them.
Store these strawberry cream cheese brownies in an airtight container at room temperature for 2 days or in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Freeze for up to 3 months.
Yes you can. I prefer making strawberry brownies from scratch, but you can use store-bought if you like.
More Strawberry Recipes You Will Love
- 8 ounces cream cheese room temperature
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter melted
- 3/4 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar packed
- 1 1/4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs room temperature
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup fresh strawberries chopped, divided
- 2 ounces dark chocolate chopped, optional
FOR THE CHEESECAKE FILLING
- Using an electric mixer or food processor, blend the cream cheese, egg, and ⅓ cup sugar for 2-3 minutes until smooth and fluffy. Set aside.
FOR THE BROWNIES
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Line an 8×8 inch square pan with two strips of parchment paper. Leave an overhang on all four sides.
- Melt the butter in the microwave until just melted (alternatively, you can melt it over the stove top) Add the chocolate chips and stir until melted. Return to the microwave for a brief time and stir until just melted. Pour into a large mixing bowl.
- To the melted butter/chocolate mixture, add the sugars and vanilla. Whisk for one minute. Add the eggs one at a time and whisk for an additional 2 minutes.
- Using a wooden spoon or spatula, stir in the flour, baking powder, cocoa powder and salt and mix until combined. Avoid overmixing.
- Pour the brownie batter into the pan. Use a spatula or offset spatula to evenly spread the brownies. Top with half the strawberries. Bake the brownies for 30 minutes.
- While the brownies bake, prepare the cream cheese topping (see below for instructions).
- Remove brownies from oven and carefully spread the cream cheese mixture over the brownies with a spatula or offset spatula. Top with remaining strawberries. Bake for an additional 20 minutes or until the cheesecake is set.
- If adding the chocolate on top, remove the brownies from the oven during the last minute of baking. Scatter the chopped chocolate over the top. Bake for an additional 1-2 minutes until the chocolate melts. Remove from the oven.
- Allow the brownies to cool in the pan at room temperature then transfer to the refrigerator to cool completely.