At first look and bite, people will be convinced these brown butter toffee cookies with chopped chocolate came from a bakery! Their pools of dark chocolate and chunks of milk chocolate and bits of toffee make them so intriguing on the outside. On the inside, nutty brown butter and toffee are combined with layers of sweet brown sugar and dark and milk chocolate! The delicious flavors are intensified and topped off with a hefty pinch of sea salt!
ABOUT BROWN BUTTER
Brown butter is butter that gets browned on the stove top before it’s used in a recipe. It adds a rich, nutty, didn’t know you needed it flavor to cookies. It adds such depth of flavor to these already yummy brown butter toffee cookies!
It sounds a bit complicated, but it only takes less than ten minutes to make. You can let it cool slightly while you gather and prepare the rest of the ingredients! For more of a tutorial, check out this video on How to Make Brown Butter from Sugar Spun Run.
HOW TO MAKE BROWN BUTTER
Chop or slice your butter and add it to a skillet over medium heat. It’s better to use a light colored skillet so that you can best see the color of the butter as it cooks. Stir occasionally at first.
After about a minute, the butter will have melted and will start to come to a boil and start to sputter! At this point, you’re going to want to stir it constantly.
You’ll be stirring the sputtering butter for 4-5 minutes. Turn the heat down if the sputtering gets a bit out of control during that time.
After the sputtering, you’ll notice the butter start to foam. Keep stirring and be watching for it to turn from pale to a light amber color. It will also develop a nutty smell. You’ll also notice some grainy milk solids have formed at the bottom of the pan. Stir over the heat for another 45 seconds to a minute.
Once your butter has turned to a light caramel color, pour it, along with all its flavorful bits, into a heat safe bowl to stop the cooking. Place the butter in the fridge for 15-30 minutes then proceed with the rest of the recipe.
PREPARING THE COOKIE DOUGH
Start by whisking together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Set that aside and measure out your cup of toffee bits and chop your chocolate. The toffee, I should mention tastes so yummy with the nutty brown butter and molasses flavor of the brown sugar!
WHAT TYPE OF CHOCOLATE TO USE?
These cookies get the sweet creaminess of milk chocolate and the rich bitter bite of dark chocolate. I use 50 grams of each. If you prefer one over the other, you can do all milk or all dark.
CREAM THE BUTTER AND SUGAR
Now that you have your ingredients all prepped and ready, you’ll cream the butter and sugars with an electric mixer on medium speed for up to five minutes or until you see that it’s lightened in color.
I like to use dark brown sugar and some granulated sugar. The dark brown sugar helps the cookies get their nice chewy middles and adds a tasty molasses flavor! I prefer dark, but you can also use light brown sugar.
Next, add the egg and the yolks one at a time. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as you go. Next, mix in the vanilla followed slowly adding the dry ingredients. Mix until just combined! Fold in the toffee bits followed by the chocolate.
Form the dough into balls of about two tablespoons. I use a cookie scoop to form these cookies and usually drop a piece or two of chocolate on the bottom of the scoop before filling the scoop with dough. When I turn it out on the baking sheet, I always get at least one good chunk of chocolate on top. Those big chunks of chocolate look so pretty once baked!
Place the balls at least three inches apart as they will flatten and spread. Bake 9-10 minutes. At the nine minute mark, you really want to watch them because they can crisp up pretty quickly after that. Pull them out of the oven when you see that the edges are beginning to turn golden brown.
Let them cool slightly on the cookie sheets. Sprinkle them as generously as you like with some flaky sea salt. This will add a nice little salty bite to the sweet cookies and intensifies the chocolate flavor! After about ten minutes, use a spatula to transfer them to baking sheets to cool completely.
There’s so much to love about these brown butter toffee cookies with chopped chocolate. Texture-wise, they’ve got crispy edges, buttery, chewy middles and lightly crunchy toffee bits. Flavor-wise they come at you with rich, nutty brown butter, brown sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, chocolate, more chocolate and sea salt. Get ready to share and to get lots of requests to make them again!
For more chocolatey cookies, try my:
- Sour Cream Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Shortbread Cookies with Mini Chocolate Chips
- Brown Butter Chocolate Cookies
Brown Butter Toffee Cookies with Chopped Chocolate
- Prep Time: 50 minutes
- Cook Time: 11 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 1 minutes
- Yield: About 2 dozen
- Category: Cookies, Baking, Dessert
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
This recipe for brown butter toffee cookies with chopped chocolate makes the best cookies with slightly crispy edges and soft chewy centers!
- 1 cup unsalted butter, chopped
- 1 1/4 cup brown sugar (light or brown), packed
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup toffee bits
- 50 grams milk chocolate, chopped
- 50 grams dark chocolate, chopped
- Sea salt for sprinkling once baked
FOR THE BROWN BUTTER
- Melt the butter in a skillet over medium heat. Stir occasionally at first. Once begins to bubble and comes to a boil, stir it constantly. It will start to foam. Continue stirring as you watch for it to turn a light, amber color and develop a nutty smell which should happen in about five minutes. Pour the brown butter into a heat safe bowl, making sure the scrape the bottom of the pan for all the bits. Place the butter in the fridge for about 30 minutes then proceed with the rest of the recipe.
FOR THE COOKIES
- Line baking trays with parchment paper and preheat the oven to 375 F.
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, baking soda and cinnamon. Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugars on medium speed for 4-5 minutes or until mixture lightens in color.
- Add the egg and egg yolks one at a time. Scrape down the sides of the bowl then add the vanilla. Add the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Fold in the toffee, followed by the chocolate.
- Form the dough into balls of about two tablespoons of dough and place on prepared baking sheets about three inches apart.
- Bake 9-11 minutes or until edges begin turning golden brown and the centers are pale. Allow cookies to cool on the baking sheet for ten minutes then transfer to a rack to cool completely. Sprinkle each cookie with a generous pinch of sea salt once removed from the oven!
Keywords: Brown butter, toffee, toffee bits, chocolate, chopped chocolate, dark chocolate, milk chocolate, cookies, brown sugar
Leave a Reply